Nothing much has changed with my kit for everyday jobs, so here is a refresher of what I use…
It seems to me that every web site about a photographer or photography has to feature a shot of the packed bag with an accompanying view of all of the kit laid out. I’m going halfway with the obligatory bag shot but you are going to have to settle for a bulleted list of the contents. We all know what an EOS 5d MkII looks like and I’m pretty sure that you can guess at what a pile of 8 Gb compact flash cards look like too. My old site has quite a bit of this stuff if you really need a fix!
So, what’s in your bag mister? (sorry Mr Lehman, I know that’s your line). The bag that I’m using most of the time is a Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter 650AW, and from the left the main items are:
- Two Canon EOS 5D MkII bodies
- Two Canon 580exII flash units
- Canon 16-35 f2.8L sitting above a Canon 1.4x extender
- Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS
- Canon 24-70 f2.8L sitting on an ST-E2 flash transmitter
The back section is able to hold an Apple Macbook Pro 15.4 and the various cables will go into one of the front pockets if I need to pack a whole kit into the bag for travelling. There are plenty of bits and pieces in the bag:
- Think Tank pixel pocket rocket CF card holder with 8 x Sandisk 8Gb CF cards
- Notebook, pens, business cards
- 16 x 2700 MaH AA rechargeable batteries
- 2 x Spare Canon LP-E6 batteries
- 2 x Honl Photo Speed Straps
- 1 x Honl Photo Speed Gobo
- 1 x Honl Photo Speed Snoot
- Canon RS-80N3 Remote Switch
- Various bits of coloured gel (red, green, blue, Full and 1/2 CTO orange, 1/2 CTO blue, purple)
Added together, this is one heavy bag. If it has the laptop and all of the computer accesories as well it is barely portable. If I’m travelling on the London Underground or having to do a lot of walking for a job I will try to cut things down and even spread the load in two bags. I’ve written before about the search for the perfect bag and all I can say is that the search continues.
Sometimes I use a nice small Domke J3 bag with two EOS5D MkIIs and some prime lenses – 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 but most of the time I rely on zoom lenses.